Gilly les Citeaux is a typical little village, 1 km away from Vougeot and therefore a very strategic place from which to visit the area. Gilly les Citeaux is situated on the RN74 road, “the Route des Vins”, next to the famous villages of Gevrey-chambertin, Vosne Romanée, Morey-St-Denis and Chambolle Musigny.
The rich heritage of the village can be seen in some of the buildings:
– The castle: built in the seventeenth century, it is an old priory which once belonged to the Citeaux monks. The castle is now a 5 star hotel but the gardens are still open to the public
– The “Grange de Saulx”: the barn was built in the 13th century. It’s been restored by the inhabitants of the village themselves in 2006
– The “Eglise St Germain”: the church was built in the 14th century
– The “Chevalier Brigdge”: the bridge was built in 1679 and connects Gilly to Flagey-Echezeaux
– The Stream Vouge and the wash house just down the road
And last but not least the Delin cheese factory for delicious fresh cheese